The Net and Other Memorial Day Thoughts
I have decided what I want to do with my life. I want to go into computer security. Actually I decided that the first time I saw The Net. If you're reading this Jack, don't laugh, I know you don't like the movie, but I fell in love with it the first time I saw it, probably about the same time that my friend who was watching it with me was jumping up and down on my sofa screaming "That's the reason I don't like computers. That's the reason." Come to think of it, that sofa was never the same after that.
Recently I attended a free webinar by Intense School. I found it rather interesting. Some of the information I already had, which was encouraging since when you're teaching yourself it's always nice to know that you're going down the right path instead of wandering lost in the woods. Some of the sites they mentioned, like Edgar On-line as a good place to find information out about a company, I'd been using for years to help with job searches. Others were totally new to me, which is totally nice for a free class. Overall, I'd say that on a time/value scale it was worth it and I'll definately attend more, plus check on some of their regular courses. They teach computer forensics (think CSI :) ) which would definately put me on my path towards living like Sandra Bullock in the Net.
Another reason that computer forensics would be great is that like Sandra Bullock perhaps I could live a life mostly inside my home, coming out only when I want to. Don't get me wrong, I love going out to shop and walk and play and ...and...and...and...you get the idea. But it's getting harder and harder. And I'm getting more and more frustrated at my limitations. I'm terrified that one day I'll be confined to a wheelchair. I guess what really scares me is that I'm terrified it won't be one day in the far future. Right now I'm still fighting using a cane, but is it really that much different if I take J's stroller with me EVERYWHERE I go? Even when he's not in it? At the bookstore the other day, I made K take J while I went to the restroom. I took the stroller! Who am I kidding besides myself? It's like I told a girl at therapy, I don't want to ask for a handicap sticker. Then I'm admitting I won't get better. She suggested asking for a temporary one, but I don't know. Even that is like giving in, admitting that I'm losing this battle. But we'll see. K's going to this doctor's visit with me so we'll see what happens then.
One last thought before closing this morning. I am very grateful to all of those who have protected our country. I don't think we do enough to remember our veterans, but today, I just want to say, Thank you!
Recently I attended a free webinar by Intense School. I found it rather interesting. Some of the information I already had, which was encouraging since when you're teaching yourself it's always nice to know that you're going down the right path instead of wandering lost in the woods. Some of the sites they mentioned, like Edgar On-line as a good place to find information out about a company, I'd been using for years to help with job searches. Others were totally new to me, which is totally nice for a free class. Overall, I'd say that on a time/value scale it was worth it and I'll definately attend more, plus check on some of their regular courses. They teach computer forensics (think CSI :) ) which would definately put me on my path towards living like Sandra Bullock in the Net.
Another reason that computer forensics would be great is that like Sandra Bullock perhaps I could live a life mostly inside my home, coming out only when I want to. Don't get me wrong, I love going out to shop and walk and play and ...and...and...and...you get the idea. But it's getting harder and harder. And I'm getting more and more frustrated at my limitations. I'm terrified that one day I'll be confined to a wheelchair. I guess what really scares me is that I'm terrified it won't be one day in the far future. Right now I'm still fighting using a cane, but is it really that much different if I take J's stroller with me EVERYWHERE I go? Even when he's not in it? At the bookstore the other day, I made K take J while I went to the restroom. I took the stroller! Who am I kidding besides myself? It's like I told a girl at therapy, I don't want to ask for a handicap sticker. Then I'm admitting I won't get better. She suggested asking for a temporary one, but I don't know. Even that is like giving in, admitting that I'm losing this battle. But we'll see. K's going to this doctor's visit with me so we'll see what happens then.
One last thought before closing this morning. I am very grateful to all of those who have protected our country. I don't think we do enough to remember our veterans, but today, I just want to say, Thank you!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home