CRON, Triskabiblios, and Oblivion
No, none of these things really go together, except for the fact that they are all holding a large part of my interest lately. :)
Oblivion is the newest Elder Scrolls game, put out by Bethesda Software. When I first played Morrowind, the precurser to Oblivion, I was amazed. For years I'd been wishing for a game that would play something like Zork, or even NannyMud, but that was perhaps more open-ended than either of them, and that was graphic-based. I wanted a game that would be like reading a good novel where the story path wasn't guessable after the first couple chapters, and you didn't follow a straight path that lead neatly to a happy ending.
To be honest, I didn't think that what I wanted in a game was possible to have with a graphics based game...but then I discovered Morrowind and Wow! It really is possible to have an opened-ended game that has a great storyline, but you're not forced to play anything in straight lines, and even fighting is often optional. Until Oblivion came out, Morrowind was my absolutely favorite game of all time. But then Oblivion finally was released.
I go back and forth with Oblivion. I love it, there's no doubt about that, and the graphics and the character interaction is absolutely wonderful, but is it better than Morrowind? Honestly, I'm not sure. There is more "required" fighting, which I really enjoyed not having in Morrowind. With Morrowind, I had a game that I really enjoyed right out of the box, without resorting to any cheats or mods. With Oblivion, some of the fun and easy ways to grow attributes and gold pieces are removed, and so once again, it feels like fighting or using a cheat is forced on you as the only way to make significant money without having to put in hours of game time first.
Okay, now I'm off to play some more, so I will write about everything else later (hopefully tomorrow). :)
Oblivion is the newest Elder Scrolls game, put out by Bethesda Software. When I first played Morrowind, the precurser to Oblivion, I was amazed. For years I'd been wishing for a game that would play something like Zork, or even NannyMud, but that was perhaps more open-ended than either of them, and that was graphic-based. I wanted a game that would be like reading a good novel where the story path wasn't guessable after the first couple chapters, and you didn't follow a straight path that lead neatly to a happy ending.
To be honest, I didn't think that what I wanted in a game was possible to have with a graphics based game...but then I discovered Morrowind and Wow! It really is possible to have an opened-ended game that has a great storyline, but you're not forced to play anything in straight lines, and even fighting is often optional. Until Oblivion came out, Morrowind was my absolutely favorite game of all time. But then Oblivion finally was released.
I go back and forth with Oblivion. I love it, there's no doubt about that, and the graphics and the character interaction is absolutely wonderful, but is it better than Morrowind? Honestly, I'm not sure. There is more "required" fighting, which I really enjoyed not having in Morrowind. With Morrowind, I had a game that I really enjoyed right out of the box, without resorting to any cheats or mods. With Oblivion, some of the fun and easy ways to grow attributes and gold pieces are removed, and so once again, it feels like fighting or using a cheat is forced on you as the only way to make significant money without having to put in hours of game time first.
Okay, now I'm off to play some more, so I will write about everything else later (hopefully tomorrow). :)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home